Estimating Methods and Processes
Summary: An overview of estimating methods for generating detailed project schedules. The file includes a brief description of the purpose, goals, and process of estimating, as well as specific estimating techniques for the project manager and project team.
This guideline will help you and your team:
What you get:
- Develop a consistent, repeatable estimation process as part of your scheduling activities (instead of resorting to "best guess" information).
- Identify and apply the most appropriate estimation techniques for given tasks.
- Continuously improve estimation process and skills among your team members and across the organization.
- An overview of the estimating process, purpose, and goals and general approaches.
- An 8-step estimation process for more accurate scheduling and estimating.
- Explanations of 8 different estimation techniques: Historical Data, Decomposition Process, Brainstorming meetings, Heuristics (Personal or "Expert" Experience), Delphi Method, Network Diagrams - PERT, CPM (ADM), GERT, etc., Rule of Thumb registries and charts, "Rolling wave" or "iterative" estimating.