Business Requirements Document
Summary: A typical IT project-level document that expresses the requirements of the business customers and stakeholders being served by the deliverables of a new project. It summarizes the business reasons for undertaking the project, answers the question "What problems do the Business customers want to solve?" or "What job does the business customer want to accomplish?" , and describes the constraints on any proposed solution from a business perspective. It is used to communicate to internal and/or external technology providers what the ultimate solution will need to do to satisfy the customer and business needs.
This template will help you and your team:
What you get:
- Clearly summarize a project's important "reasons for being" from a business standpoint, as an introduction to communicating more detailed requirements.
- Thoroughly capture the resulting business requirements that must be implemented for customers including business users and confirm those requirements with stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate business-level requirements to the team, so that all subsequent solution definition and detailed requirements and development work are aligned to the business requirements.
- Full annotated outline for a Business Requirements Document (BRD).
- Example requirements-related questions for creating sections of the document.
- Guidelines for creating and using the BRD during a project.